Vitamin E is a viscous oil having a slight characteristic vegetable oil aroma. It may oxidize upon exposure to air and light, resulting in gradual darkening. It may add a tint of color to skincare formulations.
Studies have shown that Vitamin E plays a crucial role in protecting the skin from environmental factors. The d-alpha-tocopherol in Vitamin E is also known to helps reduce the appearance of fine lines. For use in cosmetics, Vitamin E is a natural antioxidant with a full spectrum of tocopherols, which will extend the shelf-life of oils (any product with water in it will require a full-spectrum preservative). Adding 0.5% to a carrier oil will simply extend the life of the oil. To utilize its benefits to the skin, a minimum of 2% to a maximum of 30% is added to the formulation.
Can we use vitamin E, rosemary extract or grapefruit seed extract to preserve?
It’s a common myth that anti-oxidants such as vitamin E, grapefruit seed extract and rosemary extract are preservatives but they are actually anti-oxidants. Oxidation of oils and butters leads to rancidity and anti-oxidants slow down this process. These anti-oxidants do not prevent bacteria, yeast, or mold from spoiling your product.
This particular form of Vitamin E should not be applied directly to the skin, as it is designed specifically as an ingredient to be used in cosmetics.
- Natural (50% Tocopherol; Soy Based): 50% vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol, d-beta tocopherol, d-gamma tocopherol, d-delta tocopherol.) and 50% (GMO Free) refined soybean oil.
- Natural (50% Tocopherol; Soy Based): Transparent Brown Liquid
- D-alpha; Tocopheryl Acetate 96%: Transparent ~ Transparent light yellow liquid
- Natural (50% Tocopherol; Soy Based): Thick Oil Like
- D-alpha; Tocopheryl Acetate 96%: Carrier Oil Like
Solubility: Vitamin E is soluble in ethanol, ether, acetone, fats and vegetable oils. It is insoluble in water.
Cautions: Keep tightly closed in a cool, dark, dry, area as Vitamin E is subjected to oxidization.
- Natural (50% Tocopherol; Soy Based): India
- D-alpha; Tocopheryl Acetate 96%: USA
Cautions: Dilute before use; for external use only. May cause skin irritation in some individuals; a skin test is recommended prior to use. Contact with eyes should be avoided.
Storage: It is recommended that oils packaged in containers (for safe shipping) be transferred into dark glass containers to maintain freshness and attain maximum shelf life.